Sunday, April 10, 2011

What I Want to Say (Part 1)

The back page of the Asahi Shimbun newspaper features short comments by people in the affected areas. The choice of speakers seems random; their comments and photos are grouped by prefecture (county). Today's newspaper shows 11 people and stories.

"My younger brother had already left school and gone home with my mother. Since I was still at school, they came back later to get me; because of that, we are all ok. Now the biggest problem is electricity. It is dark at night, and we can't watch TV. I'd really like to watch Pokemon. It is scary to ride my bike in the dark. I really would like to watch TV." An 11-year-old girl and her 7-year-old brother are pictured. He is missing a front tooth.

*****

"I live about 32km (20 miles) from Fukushima Daiichi Power Plant. My friend suggested that I get away from here, but I have 40 head of cattle. I have raised them by hand and there's no way I can leave them. But I wonder if I will be able to make a living raising cattle in the future. I really don't know what to do." -39-year-old man

***

"With my husband and daughter, we have left the area. Here we can eat hot meals and volunteers are taking good care of us. But, of course, we cannot rely on others for much longer so are searching for a place to stay in Fukushima. Our current home is 20km (12.5 miles) away from the reactor. The people working to solve the problem are suffering much more than we are. Every morning I awaken with the wish that today, finally, we will hear some good news." -67-year-old woman

No comments: